Majority of Americans Believe 9/11 Was An Inside Job

Majority of Americans Believe 9/11 Was An Inside Job

The most prevalent conspiracy theory in the United States is that the government is concealing information about the 9/11 attacks with slightly over half of Americans holding that belief. Approximately half of Americans also believe in a cover up regarding the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

Significant minorities of Americans (40%+) believe the government is hiding information about extraterrestrials and global warming. Several other conspiracy theories are convincing to about a third of Americans including plans for a one world government (33%), Obama’s birth certificate (30%) and the origin of the AIDS virus.

About a fourth of Americans believe there is something suspicious about the death of supreme court justice Antonin Scalia (28%) and slightly less than a fourth think the government is covering up information on the moon landing (24%).

The government is concealing what they know about…Percent Agree or Strongly Agree
The 9/11 attacks54.3%
The JFK assassination49.6%
Alien encounters42.6%
Global warming42.1%
Plans for a one world government32.9%
Obama’s birth certificate30.2%
The origin of the AIDs virus30.1%
The death of supreme court justice Antonin Scalia27.8%
The moon landing24.2%

It’s All a Conspiracy

We find strong evidence that the United States is a strongly conspiratorial society. Only about a fourth of Americans (26%) disagreed or strongly disagreed with all nine conspiracy theories. The remaining three-fourths (74%) of the population finds at least one conspiracy theory somewhat convincing; if not more than one. Fully 10% of the sample agreed or strongly agreed with all nine conspiracies.

# of Conspiracy BeliefsPercent
No conspiracy beliefs26.0
1 conspiracy belief11.1
2 conspiracy beliefs10.5
3 conspiracy beliefs11.5
4 conspiracy beliefs8.2
5 conspiracy beliefs7.1
6 conspiracy beliefs5.1
7 conspiracy beliefs5.5
8 conspiracy beliefs4.3
9 conspiracy beliefs10.5

Source