Murder conspiracy charge stayed against UN gangster

Murder conspiracy charge stayed against UN gangster

Kevin LeClair, a Red Scorpion gangster who was once aligned with the rival United Nations gang, was shot in Langley in 2009. IAN SMITH / VANCOUVER SUN

There have been several stays in high-profile criminal cases in B.C. courts in recent months. I was surprised when I learned that Calgary gangster Billy Ly would not be going to trial after all for conspiracy to kill rival Red Scorpion gangsters and the Bacon brothers more than a decade ago.

The charge against Ly, laid in January 2016, was recently stayed. And like in the other cases in which charges were stayed or dropped, prosecutors are not saying much about the reason why.H

Charge of conspiracy to kill Red Scorpion gangsters stayed

A Calgary gangster will not go to trial for conspiring to kill rival Red Scorpions after a BC prosecutor stayed the charge.

Billy Ly had been out on bail since the charge was laid in January 2016. But earlier this month, he learned that the case would no longer be going to trial in April 2019.

The reason given for the stay was that the Crown no longer had the same amount of evidence against Ly.

“I can advise that the conspiracy charge against Bill Ly was stayed on 15 January 2019, as it no longer met the charge approval standard,” Gord Comer, of the B.C. Prosecution Service, said in an email.

Ly, 35, had been arrested in the conspiracy case along with fellow Calgary gangster Troy Tran, 36. Tran’s trial was held last year in B.C. Supreme Court. The verdict in the case will be handed down later this month.

Ly’s trial was severed from Tran’s after Ly’s lawyer died suddenly in 2017, forcing a delay in his case.

The witnesses against Ly were expected to be some of the same former United Nations gangsters identified only as A, B, C and D, who testified at the trial of UN gang hitman Cory Vallee.

Vallee was convicted of first-degree murder, as well as conspiracy to commit murder, for the fatal shooting of Red Scorpion Kevin LeClair on Feb. 6, 2009, as well as plotting to kill Red Scorpion members and the Bacon brothers in 2008 and 2009.

Last month, Justice Janice Dillon sentenced Vallee to two life terms with no parole eligibility on the murder count for 25 years.

Dillon made several references to Ly’s alleged role in the murder plot in her Vallee verdict.

She said Ly was a “recognized member of the UN gang” who had rented a jeep used to hunt the Bacons outside a concert at GM Place in January 2009.

Ly was captured on wiretap telling another UN member that night “we have to like shoot ’em” and “to unload the whole thing.”

“Based upon this incident, Ly was probably a member of the conspiracy,” Dillon wrote in her 2018 ruling.

She also noted that witnesses A and B both testified that they, along with UN gang founder Clay Roueche and both Ly and Tran had “regular discussion about who was on the hit list and the bounty.”

The Vallee witnesses also said Ly was part of the UN missions to various locations around the Lower Mainland as they hunted their rivals.

The stay is not the first time Ly has had serious charges against him dropped.

Two years ago, a Calgary prosecutor stayed an attempted murder charge against Ly, who he described as a member of the Fresh Off the Boat Killers or FK.

The FK, which has close ties to B.C.’s UN gang, was locked in a bloody battle with its rivals from the Fresh Off the Boat or FOB gang.

Ly had been charged with stabbing rival FOB gangster Nick Chan in the neck outside a natural foods store in April 2013.

But two days into the trial, the Crown said he was directing a stay of proceedings because the witness identification evidence he called “didn’t come out as anticipated. ”

Another man identified at Vallee’s trial as a UN gang member, Kreshnik Ismailaj, was charged last year with first-degree murder in connection with the LeClair shooting.

Already several members and associates of the UN gang have been convicted for their role in the plot to kill the notorious siblings over several months in 2008 to 2009.

Still wanted in the murder conspiracy is Conor Vincent D’Monte, who is believed to have fled Canada in 2011.

Comments

internationalfreepress