Autopsy confirms family’s suspicion that vaccine caused dog’s death

Five weeks after the sudden death of his beloved dog, Milo, Jason Baez is still reeling with anger and devastation over his family’s loss.

The family immediately suspected a vaccine, most likely rabies, caused it. Suspicions that were confirmed last week with the release of Milo’s necropsy report.

The report found Milo’s cause of death was likely anaphylactic shock, triggered by a vaccine.

What happened to Milo is why the Baez family is now part of a growing group of pet owners taking aim at the traditional way pets are vaccinated.

Recent studies have argued that pets may not need them as often as we think.

“It is the same debate that it is with kids,” said Melisa Gable, a spokesperson for Maricopa County Animal Care and Control.

Gable says pet owners should do their research and talk to their vet about what’s needed for their pet because, while there are risks, vaccines can also save a pet’s life especially when it comes to younger pets like puppies and kittens.

Milo’s family also wants people to do more research and consider what type of care they’re giving their pet, especially because so many are more like family.